Friday 30 January 2009

Merry Go Round

Jump on and join a group of artists/crafts-women as they link around the world and tell you a little about their lives in art and craft.

Our question for this month is:
If you had the time/money, what new craft or art would you like to try this year?

This is actually a good question for me to be answering this month...it might just give me that little push I need to get working properly again - if only I had more time!
On the approach to Christmas, I felt a strong urge to pick up a sketchbook and draw. The woodcutter will keel over backwards when he reads this - I haven't used a sketchbook for years! I know, deep down, how terrible that is...my college years taught me how valuable sketching is for your skills and inspirations.
I feel a slight shift is occuring in my creative hours of the day. My fingers itch to dabble again with monoprinting - I love the intensity of the process; the purposeful markmaking and the imperfections of the result. I can see, too, how the images could be transferred to fabric (thanks,
Sara!), and in turn become something new - a pendant, maybe, or detailings of a collar - and reworked with stitchery.

I've been slowly nurturing a need to start making dolls, too. Mysterious, quirky dolls...dolls with few details, save for decorative ones. I'm thinking worn out ruffles; shabby threads; torn silk; dark, Miss Havisham-esque Dickens undertones. I want to experiment again with papier-mache, so I guess that collage elements will make a welcome return. It's funny, but writing this down makes me want to jump up and get on with it!!

One last thing...I really fancy making coronet drapes (you know the sort of thing - the wonderful fabric 'curtains' that fall from decorative mouldings above beautiful beds in historic manor houses), and cushions with details you feel compelled to reach out and touch...

History, theatre and dusty attic rooms - total inspiration for me. How far can I take it, I wonder?



Eight other women are sharing their ideas with us today. Please click on their links in the sidebar and have yourself a jolly good read - we're all in different time zones, so do pop back later if you don't find what you're looking for straight away. Inspiration awaits you!

7 comments:

Laura Trevey said...

I just love checking out your site every day... to see what new inspiring ideas you may have!! If I had more time/money, I would paint even larger!! That requires more time, more paint, and lots of paper.... Well, You have just challenged me - happy Friday to everyone.
Laura

Ruth said...

Paper mache! Yes - have often thought of doing that yet it hasn't been in my mind for ages. Thanks for bringing it back to the forefront! one of these days......

Easterya said...

Gosh I love the sound of your quirky-Dickens-Miss Havisham dolls!!! Oh go on quiiiiiick!!! Get started, can't wait to see one!!

Eduardo Miguel said...

- Everything is pretty pretty pretty here, congratulations and success with its art, greetings of Brazil and my lengths.

Lily Pang said...

It's so nice to read your inspiration. Although I am not familiar with the technique of your art, I feel the creative flow in your mind. It inspires me as well. Thanks.

Cathy Cullis said...

Monoprinting and monotypes - I would certainly be intrigued to see your work:) I have recently experimented with transferring my monotype images on to fabric - I feel this is a good way of duplicating the image whilst making something else:) Papier mache is seriously fun and sticky, worth attempting. Best wishes Cathy

Sara Millis said...

I loved working with sketch books... mine has turned into more of a note pad... well ok then a scribble pad, where I talk to myself about ideas for this and that. The old man of course thinks I'm quite mad! It is useful though.

And thanks for the mention ;)

Maybe we should do a follow up group post?

Sxx