Monday 13 October 2008

For the Love of Selvedge...

Oh dear. I forgot to take some reasonable photos in daylight - through the summer, I photographed everything in the early evening and I'm finding it hard to break that habit! This brooch, above, is finished now...it's beaded, it's all taffeta'd up and ready to go. Looks a little like a sea anemone - I've used the deliciously fluffy selvedge that bordered the taffeta to outline the fabric shape, so now it has taken on the frondy guise of a sea creature.

Mmm, selvedge...I love it! If anyone removes their selvedges when they're cutting out, please don't rid yourself of it- pop it in an envelope and send it to me! I'll give it a good home and a new lease of life (the fluffier the edge, the better!).

8 comments:

Lindsey said...

Now if you love selvedge you're not going to tell me you haven't been to RicRac's blog...? She has made an entire dress out of selvedge!
I love this brooch. In fact I love all of your stuff. I think you should go for it and try a doll. I'm sure it would be truly scrumptious. Yes it is addictive but sooooo much fun. I could then come and do an embellishing workshop with you as I love constructing them but struggle with the dressing and decorating.

'fancypicnic' said...

Ah ha - yes, the Big Project...mightily amazing!

edward and lilly said...

I'll keep that in mind next time I'm doing some cutting!

Mariana said...

I have no idea what a selvedge is but hey... sure! :)
Looks very pretty. i like the swirls...

Gina said...

Fab brooch - just love the way those colours work together. Do check out RicRac's selvedge dress - it's amazing!

'fancypicnic' said...

It is amazing - flabbergasting, in fact!

The Bunny Maker said...

love that picture!
have you checked out 'Selvedge' too?
http://www.selvedge.org
great online and 'physical' magazine too.

mayaluna said...

Oh, this is just way too gorgeous! Selvedge is quite delicious or I'd send my extras your way. So glad zukzuk pointed me in your direction.